If I were going to give faculty 5 basic tips on designing an assessment plan for a course they would be
- Read the Assessment info on the CCCOnline Faculty Wiki (http://at.ccconline.org/faculty/wiki/Teaching_Resources_-_Assessment_Design)
- Consider: What do you want to assess and why? Assessments should be aligned with the course learning outcomes.
- Not all assessments have to be graded - self-assessments are useful for learners also.
- Build flexibility into your assessment plan. No learner should fail a course because of a single missed assessment.
- Assessments should not be added on the fly -- you need a plan for the entire course before the semester begins. Adult learners need consistency in due dates and the ability to organize and plan.
(Photo credit: William & Mary Law Library Marshall-Wythe School of Law)