The morning keynote was Alan Levine of CogDogBlog fame with a presentation on photopgraphy as a metaphor for education. My take-away was to try to apply the Daily Shoot concept to the developmental math courses I am teaching -- how did each student apply this unit's math concept in their daily live each day. I think I might ask them to post that (maybe not daily) beginning in unit 3.
Next presentation was on student risk factors and how to ameliorate them. #1 was time or registration. CCCO didn't find any difference in success between students who registered on-time and students who registered the first week of classes, so I am not sure I would cut off registration any earlier than that. It seems to me that some creative course design could solve any issues there. #2 was poor/non-existent advising. Monique has that under control at CMC. :^) I did think that the idea of cutting students off from online classes when their GPA fell below a certain level was interesting. I of course disagreed with the thought that students should be required to take F2F courses before they take online courses even if that does positively impact completion rates.
A presentation on 10 tips to increase course retention rates was interesting --
- Classmate questions (kind of like the intro discussion only continues on into the term)
- Learn as you go quizzes - group quizzes given before the material is officially covered
- Weekly notes posted every Friday afternoon, covering the following week's activities.
- Assignment schedule page. We know I love this one.
- Two due dates -- Tuesday a quick and easy assignment, Thursday the major assignment. The Tuesday assignment is also a reminder to begin the Thursday assignment.
- Consistent Due Dates - Every Tuesday and Thursday, no other days.
- Variety -- in assignments, learning styles, etc.
- Survey Students
- class concepts
- How assignments work.
- study habits
- tie the questions to your learning objectives.
- Open Book exams with randomized andpooled questions
- Politeness - lots of please and thank you (kill them with kindness), encourage I messages.
Assignment ideas I need to look up :
- Tag Galaxy
- Windows and Mirrors
- In Plain English on Youtube
- Free Rice (has more than English)
Also lots of good conversation about implementing Quality Matters.
(Photo credit - Billy V from Flickr. My hotel is next door to the tall round one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/billyv/1621273470/in/photostream/)