Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Still thinking about the future

I liked this article:  http://www.contactnorth.ca/sites/default/files/contactNorth/files/pdf/publications/5_wishes_for_the_future_of_online_learning.pdf.  I especially liked the wish that we would all focus on pedagogy.  I completely agree that there has been too  much focus on video and reproducing lectures.  Sure that is one way to get content to someone, but there are many other ways that might be more effective.  I love the idea of gaming and situation analyses.   In my class, with my limited time and technical skills I have tried to make a few of the assignments relevant -- teach your neighbor or write an analysis for your boss kind of thing.  That only goes so far though.  My hope is that organizations like the Gates Foundation will spend their money creating really interesting courses that approach learning and teaching in different ways, maybe including the lecture, but not focusing on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment